ISO/IEC 14496-18:2004 is part of the MPEG-4 suite of International Standards. It specifies font data representation, compression and streaming, providing an efficient mechanism to embed font data in MPEG-4 encoded presentations. It also defines MPEG-4 Text profiles and levels.
The ISO/IEC 14496 (MPEG-4) series has been developed by MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group) and defines the set of technologies for compression, encoding and delivery of complex audio-visual scenes composed of different media objects:
- video objects (natural or synthetic video);
- audio objects;
- still images;
- text and vector graphics;
- computer-animated images.
MPEG-4 provides a standardized way to:
- represent the content of audio-visual objects;
- describe the composition of these objects in compound media scenes;
- encode, multiplex and synchronize the data associated with the media objects;
- transport the media presentation over different channels;
- interact with the audio-visual scene at the receiver's end.
An essential part of almost any media presentation involves text objects that are created using specific or custom fonts. Font selection determines the appearance of text in multimedia content and also plays a critical role in the overall scene composition, since the metric properties of a font are used for textual parts of multimedia content layout. Many thousands of fonts are available today for use in content creation. In order to assure the readability and legibility of text as well as the correct appearance and layout of content, the font data must be included (embedded) with the text objects as part of the multimedia presentation.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2004-07
Edition: 1Number of pages: 18
Technical Committee: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 Coding of audio, picture, multimedia and hypermedia information
- ICS :
- 35.040.40 Coding of audio, video, multimedia and hypermedia information
Buy this standard
|std 1 92|
|std 2 92||Paper|
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.93 (Confirmed)
Corrigenda / AmendmentsPublished
ISO/IEC 14496-18:2004/Amd 1:2014Published
ISO/IEC 14496-18:2004/Cor 1:2007
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.