ISO/IEC 23000-3:2007 specifies a solution for digital photo library applications. It standardizes the packaging of images and associated metadata, enabling interoperable exchange across diverse devices and platforms. The supported metadata include image-acquisition parameters (such as date, time and camera settings), as well as MPEG-7 visual content descriptions. This allows conforming devices to support new content-enhanced functionality such as intelligent browsing, content-based search or automatic categorization.
ISO/IEC 23000-3:2007 makes it possible to
- organize photos into categories based on their content - for example, the people and places depicted, or events taking place in photos;
- perform advanced content-based searches through collections of photos;
- bundle photos and favourite ways to show them, into a single MPEG-4 file;
- link to external resources such as other images (outside the MPEG-4 file) or web-pages.
The major components of ISO/IEC 23000-3:2007 are
- a method to encapsulate a set of JPEG compressed images in an MPEG-4 file;
- concise subsets of MPEG-7 metadata to describe the individual images and the overall collection;
- a method to embed this binary MPEG-7 metadata in the MPEG-4 file.
ISO/IEC 23000-3:2007 is a response to the need for persistent and interoperable linking of digital image collections with metadata in order to support advanced access to content. It offers a flexible solution for applications ranging from consumer digital photography to advertising and e-commerce.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2007-06
Edition: 1Number of pages: 91
Technical Committee: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 Coding of audio, picture, multimedia and hypermedia information
- ICS :
- 35.040.40 Coding of audio, video, multimedia and hypermedia information
Buy this standard
|std 1 208|
|std 2 208||PDF on CD|
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.93 (Confirmed)
Corrigenda / AmendmentsPublished
ISO/IEC 23000-3:2007/Amd 1:2009Published
ISO/IEC 23000-3:2007/Amd 2:2010
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.