ISO 24534-3:2010 provides requirements for electronic registration identification (ERI) that are based on an identifier assigned to a vehicle (e.g. for recognition by national authorities) suitable to be used for:
- electronic identification of local and foreign vehicles by national authorities;
- vehicle manufacturing, in-life maintenance and end-of-life identification (vehicle life cycle management);
- adaptation of vehicle data (e.g. for international resales);
- safety-related purposes;
- crime reduction;
- commercial services.
It adheres to privacy and data protection regulations.
ISO 24534-3:2010 defines the vehicle identification data. This data is called the ERI data and includes
- the vehicle identifier, and
- possible additional vehicle-related information (as typically included in a vehicle registration certificate).
All additional vehicle data elements are defined as optional. It is left to local legislation and/or the discretion of a registration authority to use or not to use a particular data element. If used, the value is assumed to be the one registered by the registration authority in accordance with local legislation. ISO 24534-3:2010 only provides the syntax for all these data elements.
Status: WithdrawnPublication date: 2010-07
Edition: 1Number of pages: 32
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 204 Intelligent transport systems
ISO 24534-3:2010Stage: 95.99
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.